Increase Amazon Sales by Deep Linking Directly Into the Amazon App
Many brands, sellers, and affiliates are also riding the wave of Amazon’s success as the company stores, packs, and ships third-party goods through its Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) service. In 2020, there were over 6 million Amazon sellers worldwide. Although active sellers are a fraction of total sellers, Amazon is adding over 2 thousand third-party sellers to its platform each day.
Amazon deep linking directly to the shopping app is important for both Amazon sellers and Amazon affiliate marketing because it can dramatically increase conversion rates while avoiding logins to the Amazon mobile website. Remember, consumers prefer the Amazon app— so when you link to a product from social media or another marketing channel, the link must open the app while passing Amazon attribution tags to track the sale and/or commission.
Amazon Attribution: Linking Directly to the Amazon App
Amazon Attribution is a measurement system for advertising and analytics that provides marketers with insight into how their non-Amazon marketing channels perform on Amazon.
Platforms like URLgenius allow agencies, sellers, and affiliates to update their Amazon store— such as category and product links— to give them unique app deep linking capabilities. For example, the typical Amazon linking feature cannot lead a shopper from the Facebook app into the Amazon app, and instead leads the user to the Amazon website where logging in is required to purchase the product. This is by design, as Facebook aims to keep their users within the embedded browser found in the Facebook app for iOS and Android. Since most Amazon shoppers prefer the app, most tend to abandon their shopping endeavors.
This will ultimately sabotage your conversion rate— no matter if you're a seller or affiliate. Additionally, this is a missed opportunity for Amazon sellers to increase their product rankings with increased engagement and sales. The solution to the problem is to use an Amazon deep link in your Facebook post or Facebook ad, which will open the Amazon app directly to the target screen, helping you increase in-app engagement and conversion. The concept applies to your product listings as well as your Amazon storefront.
App deep linking to the Amazon shopping app vs. mobile website avoids the mobile web login and will help you increase engagement, product consideration, and revenue.
For example, the following link leads to a Sony camera:
This link has the letters ‘gp’ in the path. Amazon links can also have the letters “dp” in the path or the word “product” plus the product name or 10-digit product identifier. When updating the link you don’t need navigational tags.
Pro Tip: Amazon Seller Attribution and App Deep Linking
When promoting Amazon links in non-Amazon marketing channels like social media, it’s important to include Amazon Attribution tags. If you haven’t done so yet, join the Amazon Attribution program for Amazon sellers. This will allow you to append tags to your product links so that you can attribute sales to non-Amazon channels.
Note that URLgenius is a Verified Amazon Partner and can pass these tags when opening the Amazon app to certain screens. In addition, Amazon is currently offering a 10% discount off their fee on each sale when sales are tracked through Amazon Attribution.
Pro Tip: Amazon Affiliate Marketing: Attribution and App Deep Linking
Amazon provides a link generator for Amazon Associates that lets them update links and append their affiliate tags which enable tracking for commissions. Generate your affiliate link in the Amazon affiliate system then update that link with URLgenius. You do not need to include navigational tags or search tags. Check out this URLgenius case study where the Affiliate tripled sales compared to regular Amazon product links. Always use URLgenius when promoting affiliate links in non-Amazon channels.
Contact us if you need help setting up your Amazon links.
Step-by-Step: How to Create an Amazon App Deep Link
Creating an Amazon app deep link is easy for any marketer. There is nothing to install and you don't need any technical resources.
- Navigate to the Amazon product or page and copy the link from the address bar
- This could be the link to your storefront or a category or product link
- Most Amazon web links can also be deep links the only way to know is to try it
- You only need the core link (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QZDM9M8)
- Remove any navigation tags that may have been added as you searched for the right Amazon link
- Optional: Amazon affiliates should then update the link with the Amazon link generator
- Paste the link into the box provided on the URLgenius home page
- When pasting the link, notice the Amazon icon is highlighted
- This tells you that URLgenius understands the link type you pasted.
- At the bottom of the dialog, there is a pre-populated field that contains four random characters
- You can customize this part of the path to make it easy to find later
- For example, you could change it to say ‘product1” or “product2”.
- In this case, we will make it 'scuba2021'
- Click the “Compose URL” button which takes you to the settings page where you can copy the link to place in your campaign for any marketing channel
- Scan the QR code with your mobile device to test the behavior of the link
Pro Tip: Your app deep link will look like this example, but you can use your brand's domain for all your app deep links. This helps you extend your brand name and establish credibility when deep linking from your website to different apps.
QR Code Pro tip: Every URLgenius app deep link also has a corresponding QR code that you can download. Create a branded app deep link and custom QR code to use online or offline to promote your Amazon store and product listings. Use in posters, retail displays, tradeshows, and giveaway promotions. Just click on 'QR Settings' to find and download your code.
Amazon App Deep Linking Metrics
Another great thing about app deep linking platforms designed for marketers and agencies is the reporting tool. Here on the URLgenius platform, we give you insight into how many times the app has been opened and if your audience uses an iOS or Android device.
In addition to seeing the number of times the app is opened, you can see insights that refer to the URL and app when available— as well as the city from which your audience is clicking.
As an Amazon agency, seller, or affiliate, getting your audience back into the Amazon app from different marketing channels is the key to earning more sales, product engagement, comments and reviews. No matter what your objective might be for a particular campaign, make sure to use an Amazon app deep link to maximize your results.
If you found this content helpful, check out some of our other popular how-to posts:
- How to Create Deep Links for Facebook Events
- How to Generate Facebook Deep Links and App QR Codes
- How to Create Deep Links for Facebook Reviews.
- How to Make Deep Links for Facebook Videos
- How to Properly Size your App QR Codes to Maximize Scans
- How to Make Deep Links and App QR Codes for More YouTube Subscribers
- How to Setup Your Domain to Host QR Codes and Deep Links
- How to Create Deep Links and App QR Codes for More Spotify Sales
- How to Make Deep Links and App QR Codes for Instagram Hashtags
- How to Create Deep Links for Facebook Groups
- How To Make One Link for iOS and Android App stores to Drive Installs
- How to Create Telegram Deep Links and App QR Codes
- How to Create Instagram Deep Links and App QR Codes
- How to Deep Link into SMS Text Messages on iOS and Android