Third Party Selling on Amazon and Deep Linking to the Amazon Shopping App
The growth of Amazon revenue across all product categories has forever changed the retail competitive landscape. In a recent report from Slice Intelligence, Amazon captured 53% of all sales growth among all online retailers in 2016. An amazing acheivement.
Many brands or 'sellers' are also riding the wave of Amazon's success as the company stores, packs and ships third party goods through its Fulfillment by Amazon service. Active sellers using the Amazon fulfillment service rose more than 70 percent in 2016 and Amazon more than doubled the items it delivered for other sellers reaching two billion. In addition, Amazon also sells advertising to these sellers and clicks on such ads were up 150 percent in 2016.
Deep linking to the Amazon shopping app is important for these sellers and marketers because it can help increase conversion rates while avoiding logins to the Amazon mobile website.
URLgenius Deep Linking to the Amazon Shopping App
URLgenius allows sellers, marketers and, agencies to update Amazon category and product links so the links can detect and open the Amazon Shopping app when it is found on the user's mobile device. Deep linking to the Amazon Shopping app vs. mobile website will help you increase brand engagement, product consideration and ultimately revenue.
For example, the following link leads to Black & Decker toaster ovens:https://www.amazon.com/gp/adlp/zbmkZ7GBSF?adp=mobile-main:9372,cBDtdKyW8saxXSnO4HjO/Q--&adp=tablet-main:9372,EXGhQ03jy0HG6d3tITIqKA--&adp=main:9372,1XzyzVlf4pY3b/XcDG54RA--
Note this link has 'gp' in the path. Amazon typically allows deep linking to 'gp' or 'S' destinations. At this time, Amazon does not allow deep linking to product links with 'dp' in the path. Contact us with questions about which Amazon link support deep linking.
Amazon Shopping App Deep Linking Step-by-Step
- Create a URLgenius account. https://app.urlgeni.us/signup
- Login to your URLgenius account: http://app.urlgeni.us/signin
- Once logged in, you're ready to update your Amazon category and product links.
- Important: Any URLgenius links created without logging in first will not be associated with your account.
- Navigate to your target page on the Amazon website and copy the link from the address bar of your web browser.
- Click the 'Shopping' tab on the URLgenius home page and paste it into the box provided. Notice the Amazon app icon is highlighted.
- For example, in the screenshot below we are creating a deep link to the Black and Decker toaster page.
- When the link is pasted notice the Amazon icon is highlighted. This tells you that URLgenius understands the link type.
- Optional: Notice at the bottom of the dialog above there is a pre-populated field that contains four random characters. You can customize this part of the path for tracking purposes by channel or campaign. For example, you could change it to say ‘fall-campaign” or “email-campaign”. In this case we will make it 'bd/toasters'
- Click the “Compose URL” button and you are then brought to the settings page where you can copy the link for use in another marketing channel.
- Tip: You can also scan the QR code with your mobile device to test the behavior of the link.
- Copy your Amazon deep link and use it in your other marketing channels.
Where to place your URLgenius deep links for Amazon:
- Promote on your Twitter feed and other social channels
- Place it behind graphics in email marketing. You can even have your email system append tracking parameters to the link.
- Place behind banners in display advertising and paid search campaigns that promote your YouTube content and presence.
- Analytics tip: append your preferred web or channel analytics UTM parameters for tracking (Google Analytics, Omniture, Kenshoo etc.)
URLgenius Deep Linking Metrics for Amazon Shopping
You can login to URLgenius anytime to understand how much engagement you are driving to the Amazon Shoppinng app.
- This screenshot is an example chart for daily visitors and clicks by date range:
- The next chart below shows Amazon app opens by platform.
- Using these charts, you can estimate what percentage if your social engagers have installed the YouTube mobile app for iOS and Android.
- App store opens indicates those shoing interest in opening your links in the Amazon Shopping app but actually have not installed the app yet.
- And here’s a chart example of clicks by device and by state.
- As a reminder, after a click there is a one hour delay in reporting.
- We will send you an analytics update each month when one or more of your links receives ten clicks or more in a single calendar month.
Update your profile links in the same way for Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, Pinterest, Youtube, Linkedin and other shopping apps including Walmart.
Sign-up and Login now and get started.