Most video consumption is happening on mobile devices and within many different social networks— including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and (of course) now TikTok. Video ad formats are also quickly evolving providing media planners and content creators with a wide range of ad formats for reaching a targeted audience. To maximize views, subscribers, and engagement, however, marketers need to promote their videos off-site using deep links that open the YouTube app to specific profiles, videos, and playlists while avoiding that YouTube mobile website login which is typically seen when linking to YouTube from other apps including social apps like Facebook.
Have you as a consumer ever clicked on a YouTube link and— even though you have the YouTube app installed on your phone— you're sent to the YouTube web login? Have you ever wondered why YouTube links don't open in the app? That experience hurts the pace at which you grow subscribers not to mention likes and comments. In other words, you're losing subscribers each time you send a visitor to that web login! This is not YouTube's but something called the 'walled garden' effect which is a challenge that the industry has when linking app-to-app.
This post tells you how to solve this issue by creating smoother app-to-app deep links.
How YouTube App URL Links (Deep Links) Solve for the Walled Garden
URLgenius allows marketers to update their YouTube profile and video links so that they can open the Youtube app from another app when detected on the user's mobile device. Deep linking to the YouTube app vs. website will help you increase subscribers, views, and engagement. URLgenius lets your visitor securely leave the app their in (Facebook, Instagram, etc.) and open the YouTube app to the right screen.
Generate YouTube App Deep Links for Profiles, Channels, Videos, or Playlists
YouTube accounts have a profile link and each video posted also has a link that can be used in advertising, email, paid search, and social. For example, the following link is to the YouTube profile for the Coca-Cola brand. Notice some profile links (not all) have the word 'user' in the path:
Here is an example link to a YouTube channel. Notice it has the word channel in the path:
Video links in turn have the word watch in the path:
And here's a link to a playlist that is in the path:
Clicking these typical YouTube links to profiles, channels, videos, or playlists using a smartphone will typically bring you to the YouTube mobile web login even if you have the YouTube app installed. This is especially true when clicking YouTube links from within other apps like Facebook and other social apps. Even if the content is public and viewable from Facebook's internal browser, when attempting to subscribe, like, or comment, you will be asked to log in. At this point most people abandon. This leads to lost subscribers, engagement, and ultimately revenue. Here's how to fix it!
Step-by-Step: How to Generate Deep links to Open the YouTube App from Facebook and Other Apps
Most YouTube users have the app installed on their individual mobile devices. URLgenius enables you to create deep links to the YouTube mobile app vs. website providing your visitors with a more seamless content experience. This will increase subscribers to your channel, as well as likes and comments on your video content.
Just follow these steps to update your profile, channels, videos, and playlists:
- Sign up and log in to URLgenius
- Once logged in, you're ready to update your YouTube profile and video links
- Copy your YouTube profile, channel, video, or playlist link from the address bar of your browser
- Paste the link into the box on the URLgenius home page
Note there is a field for customizing the end of your link
For example, let's create a deep link to the Coca-Cola YouTube profile
- When the link is pasted notice the YouTube icon is highlighted
- This tells you that URLgenius understands the link type
- Optional: Notice the pre-populated field that contains four random characters
- You can customize this part of the path for tracking purposes by channel or campaign
- For example, you could change it to say ‘fall-campaign” or “email-campaign”
In our example, we will make it 'cocacola2023'
Click the “Compose URL” button and you are then brought to the settings page where you can copy the link for use in another marketing channel
- Scan the QR code with your mobile device to test the behavior of the link or email it
- Copy your URLgenius YouTube deep link and use it in your other marketing channels
- To go back and get this link later just click 'Console' from the menu
QR Codes for the YouTube App
Doing a multi-channel campaign to promote your YouTube channel? Lucky for you, every URLgenius YouTube app deep link also has a corresponding QR code.
Create a branded YouTube app deep link and custom QR code to use online or offline to promote your channels, videos, and playlists. Use them in posters, retail displays, tradeshows, and giveaway promotions. Just click on 'QR Settings' to find and download your YouTube QR code.
Where to place your URLgenius deep links for YouTube
- Use it behind the YouTube icon on your website
- Place it behind the YouTube icon in your email templates
- Use the URLgenius YouTube link in your Instagram profile and other social networks
- Utilize in social media ads to promote your YouTube channels and playlists
Pro tip: Connect your YouTube account to your Google Analytics account and include campaign tracking parameters on your YouTube link when you create your URLgenius link.
URLgenius Deep Linking Metrics for YouTube
You can log in to URLgenius anytime to understand traffic trends on the 'Performance' tab in the link settings or click 'Activity' from the menu and enter a date range.
- The next chart below shows the number of YouTube app-opens by platform.
- Using these charts, you can estimate what percentage if your social engagers have installed the YouTube mobile app for iOS and Android.
- And here’s a chart example of clicks by approximate city location
- You'll also be happy to know that all URLgenius data is anonymous and compliant with today's latest privacy policies
- There may be a one-hour delay in reporting
If you found this content helpful, check out some of our other popular how-to posts:
- How Influencers and Affiliates Can Generate Links to Open the Amazon App from a Facebook Group
- How to Generate a Link to Open a Specific Post in the Facebook App
- Ready for Takeoff: Dynamic App Linking into Marketplace Apps from Social Media
- How Amazon Live Influencers Generate Links to Open the Amazon App from Social Media
- How To Generate a Dynamic YouTube QR Code To Open in the App
- How To Generate App Deep Links To Instagram Posts, Reels, Pictures and Hashtags
- How to Generate App-To-App Deep Links for Instagram Hashtags #hashtagmarketing
- How To Generate a Facebook Deep Link That Opens in the App
- How Target Plus Marketplace Sellers Can Increase Sales From Social Media with App Deep Links
- Amazon Snapchat Ads: How to Increase Affiliate Sales With App-to-App Deeplinking
- How To Increase Sales as an Amazon Storefront Influencer or Seller With YouTube Deeplinking
- How Amazon Sellers Can Link Facebook Ads to Amazon Products in the App
- Facebook Advertising for Walmart Marketplace: How To Deep Link from App to App
- How to Generate Instagram Mobile App URLs to Open the Amazon App
- How to Generate a Deeplink to Open the YouTube App from the Instagram App to Increase Subscribers
- How to Generate TikTok Mobile App URLs for Amazon Affiliates, Influencers, and Marketers