Converting Mobile Website Users to App Users
Mobile App Smart Banners for iOS and Android: Roadblocks and Requirements
A key challenge with mobile app banners for websites is the resources needed to build solutions both iOS and Android. Apple Smart Banners for example, only support Safari and cannot be displayed in other browsers such as browser apps or embedded browsers like those found in Facebook and Twitter. Some companies allocate resources to build custom solutions.
For most smart banners, if the consumer lands on a web page deep in the site and then clicks on the banner to open the same page inthe app, they will arrive at the home page instead. At that point, they need to navigate to the same page in the app which can often be frustrating or impossible. Smart banners that deep link beyond the home page have become a key requirement for maximizing engagement.
In addition, marketers should also have ability to design and customize smart banners without engaging technical resources. This capability is important when testing campaign and conversion strategies as mobile apps iOS and Android mature.
The technology behind smart app banners is called mobile app deep linking which typically requires development resources and the implementation of a Software Development Kit or SDK.
Smart banners like URLgenius do not require an SDK and use a cloud-based approach to deep linking. URLgenius solves for common smart banner challenges without the need for costly custom development and maintenance. Marketers should ensure their Smart App Banners include the following features:
- Cloud-based enterprise serving approach no SDK
- Routing to iOS and Android apps from same banner
- Support for all browser and device combinations
- Disable banner display by platform or device
- Easily preview banners by scanning a QR code
- Customize fonts and background colors
- Support for branded subdomains
”The URLgenius Smart Banner implementation was incredibly easy. It didn’t require any significant IT resources or platform-specific development for iOS or Android.” – Marketing Manager, IR500 Retailer
Smart App Banner User Experience on iOS and Android
App banners like those available from the URLgenius platform route visitor traffic to the right app store or page in the app depending on platform and device and whether your mobile website visitor has the app installed. If the app is installed, the banner will open the app. If the app is not installed, the banner will open the appropriate app entry in iTunes or Google Play.
Routing to any particular device or platform can be turned on or off at any time. No SDK or development required means there is no code to maintain over time. Here's a summary of benefits compared to standard smart banner meta tags:
Google Compliance for Smart App Banners
Advertisers need to ensure all mobile related banners are fully compliant with Google's latest rules and guidelines. The design and cloud-based approach of URLgenius Smart Banners is fully compliant with Google's latest rules for app download banners and interstitial content.
By placing URLgenius Smart Banners on your mobile web pages you can maintain your current SEO strategies while leveraging your best ranking pages to drive awareness, downloads and engagement of your mobile app.
Smart Banner Results and Impact on Conversion and App Downloads
URLgenius Smart Banners have shown strong results for advertisers. Marketers saving time and technical resources while achieving maximum coverage for their app download banners on browsers and devices across iOS and Android. One retailer immediately saw a 300% increase in app downloads in the first two weeks of deployment.
See the URLgenius blog for case studies and other deep linking tips and best practices.
Contact us for more information and to setup a free app banner test with your app.
If you found this content helpful, check out some of our other popular how-to posts about linking to apps from different marketing channels:
- How to Generate a Single QR Code to Download an App from iOS App Store and Google Play
- Smarter App Install Banners: A Radically Easy Approach To Grow Organic App Installs
- How to Generate Links to Open Mobile Apps from Snapchat Ads and Stories
- How to Generate Links to Open Mobile Apps from YouTube Ads and Videos
- How To Generate Links to Open Mobile Apps from TikTok Ads and Profiles
- How to Generate Mobile App Links for Instagram Ads, Stories, and Profiles That Directly Open Your App
- How To Generate Links to Open Mobile Apps from Facebook Advertising
- How To Track App Downloads and Engagement with App Deep Links and Google Analytics UTM Tags
- How To Set Up Paid Search Campaigns with App Deep Linking
- iOS 14: Shift Focus to Organic App Install Strategies While You Have Time
- Smart App Banners for Mobile Websites
- How to Generate One Link to Both App Stores to Grow App Installs and Attribution Data
- Jewelry Television Strikes Gold with TV QR Code Strategy
- JibJab Increases App Downloads
- 3 Ways to Optimize URL Schemes to Maximize App Deep Linking Opportunities How to Generate a Custom QR Code to Open an App
- How To Generate a Dynamic Phone Number QR Code for Scan To Call Service
- How to Generate Dynamic QR Codes for Your Email Marketing Strategy
- How to Generate Dynamic QR Codes for Your SMS Marketing Strategy
- Maximize Your Email Marketing Strategy and Performance With Mobile App Deep Linking
- Dynamic QR Codes: How To Connect Print Ads and Digital Marketing
- How To Increase Retail & Ecommerce Sales With QR Codes
- How to Generate QR Codes for Insurance and Finance Companies
- 5 Ways to Use QR Codes to Promote Finance Apps to Increase Installs, Engagement and Transactions
- How to Generate QR Codes that Open Healthcare Apps and Increase Patient Engagement