Telegram Growth and Why Deep Linking is Important
The fast changing competitive landscape for messaging apps is currently dominated by Messenger and WhatsApp which are both Facebook services. Telegram, however, is quickly making gains globally. The company’s CEO and Founder, Duval Durov, revealed in February of 2016 that that its monthly active users (MAUs) have exceeded 100 million and growing fast.
That breaks down to about 38 million users who joined the service since May 2015. Over 350,000 new users sign in to the app every day sending over 15 billion messages daily, an increase of 25 percent over the 12 billion registered in September 2015. Forward thinking marketers are using telegram channels to communicate brand messaging to target audiences. Deeplinking to your Telegram channel or username with URLgenius from different marketing channels can help you get more followers faster.
Telegram Channels vs. Usernames
After you signup for Telegram, consider the name for your Telegram channel. A username is related to the person's mobile device that setup the Telegram account. A channel is how people can follow your brand on telegram. From the main menu in Telegram select 'New Channel'. If someone is squatting on your brand name, simply appeal to Telegram to have it transferred to you.
Once your channel is created, you can compose a URLgenius link for Telegram and promote it in your emails and on your website as a way for your audience to follow your brand. When clicked, URLgenius will track Telegram app opens across iOS and Android as well as geography and referring URL. One you start promoting your URLgenius Telegram link, the app-open rate for your link will tell you what percentage of your audience currently has the Telegram app installed. Its also an easy way to postion your brand as forward thinking in the way it communicates with customers.
Deep Linking to Telegram Step-by-Step
- Signup to URLgenius https://app.urlgeni.us/signup
- Login to your URLgenius account: http://app.urlgeni.us/signin
- Important: Any links created without logging in first will not be associated with your account.
- Once you are signed in, you are ready to create a URLgenius link to your Telegram channel. You can use the same steps to create a link to your personal Telegram username if you want direct messages.
- Enter your Telegram URL into the box provided in this format: https://t.me/urlgenius where 'urlgenius' is the name of your channel or username (make sure to include the 's' in 'https').
Notice the Telegram app icon is highlighted.
For example, in the screenshot below we are creating a link to our own channel.
- Now click the “Compose” button and you will be presented with a 'Copy URL' button.
- Copy the link using the button provided and paste in other marketing channels in your effort to promote followers to your channel on Telegram.
- You can also scan the QR code with your mobile device to test the behavior of the link.
- Best Practice: also update your social profile links using similar steps.
Where to use your URLgenius Telegram link:
- Place behind the Telegram icon on your website.
- Place behind promotions only available on Telegram (make sure you broadcast the promotion first!).
- Where possible, promote on your other social channels to encourage other social audiences to follow you on Telegram. Note: Instagram blocks linking to Telegram.
- Use in display advertising and paid search campaigns to promote your Telegram channel.
- Best Practice: append your preferred web or channel analytics UTM parameters for tracking (Google Analytics, Omniture, Kenshoo etc.)
- We just got started with Telegram ourselves. Make sure to follow us by clicking this link: https://urlgeni.us/telegram/urlgenius.
URLgenius Deep Linking Metrics for Telegram
You can login to your URLgenius dashboard at any time to understand how much Telegram engagement you are driving.
- Here is an example chart for daily clicks to your URLgenius Telegram link by date range.
- The next chart below shows Telegram app opens by platform and device. The app open rate helps you determine what percentage of people who clicked had the Telegram app installed for iOS and Android.
- App store visits indicate those have shown interest in viewing your channel or username in the Telegram app but do not have the Telegram app installed on their device yet.
- This is a view of clicks on your URLgenius Telegram app deep link by device and by state. These insights can help you focus your Telegram campaign geographically
- When checking analytics in the URLgenius dashboard, keep in mind that after a click, there is a one hour delay in reporting.
- We will send you an analytics update monthly automatically when you reach ten clicks or more in a single calendar month.
Make sure to update your profile links in the same way for Messenger Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, Linkedin and even Amazon and other shopping apps. We can even add your brand app to the URLgenius platform!
Sign-up and Login now and get started.