Snapchat Deep Linking Challenges
The back-to-school and holiday season were quickly approaching presenting big opportunities for Snapchat engagement. The marketing team needed a solution that could be implemented immediately without any technical resources. In addition, the team was not sure what percentage of their audience used Snapchat, so they needed to establish a baseline app-open rate to understand their progress over time. Placing the Tarte Cosmetics Snapchat profile link in their email template by itself would not provide any app-open information for iOS or Android. In addition, they also wanted to know the referring URL or geography information which would helpful to understand where their Snapchat users were concentrated.
Snapchat Deep Linking Solution Requirements
A resourceful Tarte Marketing Manager determined that a mobile app deep linking solution would provide these capabilities. Any deep linking solution that required development resources was not considered. The solution simply needed to detect and open the Snapchat app for Android and iOS from the same marketing link while supporting Google Analytics parameters. In addition, a significant percentage of the audience would not have the Snapchat app installed but might be inspired to try Snapchat in order to follow the company. These consumers need to be taken to the Google Play or iTunes app store. Lastly, the marketing manager needed to test and scale the solution immediately.
The Solution: URLgenius Snapchat Deep Linking
A Tarte Cosmetics marketing manager discovered URLgenius Snapchat deep linking. The URLgenius link opened the Snapchat app from any iOS or Android device while clicking through on desktop.
”We gained thousands of followers in our first use of the product! We love the URLgenius platform and we’re planning to roll out the platform as a permanent part of our email template strategy.”
The Results: Tarte Cosmetics URLgenius Deep Linking for Snapchat
The link was immediately deployed behind the Snapchat icon in the Tarte Cosmetics email campaign. The results were immediate as Tarte gained thousands of followers in their first use of URLgenius. URlgenius enabled Tarte to track Snapchat app-opens and discovered what percentage of their audience clicking on the link had the Snapchat app installed across iOS and Android. Moving forward, Tarte now plans to expand their use of the URLgenius platform and make it a permanent part of their marketing operations as they grow their fan base across social channels. Follow the steps below to create a URLgenius link to your Snapchat profile.
Step-by-Step: URLgenius Snapchat Deep Linking
- Signup to URLgenius https://app.urlgeni.us/signup
- Login to your URLgenius account: http://app.urlgeni.us/signin
- Important: Any links created without logging in first will not be associated with your account.
- Once you are signed in, you are ready to create a URLgenius link to your Snapchat profile.
- Enter your Snapchat URL into the box provided in this format: 'www.snapchat.com/add/username' where 'username' is your Snapchat profile name.
After you enter the link, you will notice the Snapchat app icon is highlighted.
For example, in the screenshot below we are creating a link to the Tarte Cosmetics Snapchat profile.
- Note that you can customize the end of the link. Do this attribute clicks to different campaigns and channels. In this example, we will customize it to be 'tarte-email'.
- Now click the “Compose” button and you will be presented with a 'Copy URL' button.
- Copy the link using the button provided and use it behind the Snapchat app icon on your website and in your emails in your effort get consumers to follow and interact with you on Snapchat.
- You can also scan the QR code with your mobile device to test the behavior of the link.
Best Practice: update all your social profile links using similar steps.
Where to use your URLgenius Snapchat link:
- Place behind the Snapchat icon on your website.
- Place behind graphics in your emails.
- Where possible, promote on your other social channels to encourage other social audiences to follow you on Snapchat.
- Use in display advertising and paid search campaigns to promote your Snapchat profile.
Best Practice: append your web or channel analytics UTM parameters for tracking (Google Analytics, Omniture, Kenshoo etc.)
URLgenius Deep Linking Metrics for Snapchat
You can login to your URLgenius dashboard at any time to understand how often your link is opening the Snapchat app.
- Below is a chart example for daily clicks to your URLgenius Snapchat link by date.
- The next chart below shows Snapchat app opens by platform and device. The app open rate helps you determine what percentage of people who clicked had the Snapchat app installed for iOS and Android.
- App store visits indicate those have shown interest in viewing your Snapchat profile but do not have the Snapchat app installed on their device.
- This is a view of clicks on your URLgenius Snapchat deep link by device and by state. These insights help you confirm the focus your campaign geographically
- When checking analytics in the URLgenius dashboard, keep in mind that after a click, there is a one hour delay in reporting.
- We will send you an analytics update monthly automatically when you reach ten clicks or more in a single calendar month.
Make sure to update your profile links in the same way for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, Messenger, Telegram and even Amazon and other shopping apps. We can even add your brand app to the URLgenius platform!