The growth of Spotify continues to change the way millions of people listen to music. According to a March 2017 announcement, the company has surpassed 50 million subscribers. With millions of songs available among all types of music genres, the job of music promoter has never been more challenging.
Deep Linking to the Spotify App While Tracking App Opens
One way that public relations firms can promote artists and songs more effecively is to track Spotify app opens across marketing channels. URLgenius lets you create custom links for Spotify artists and songs that can track app opens on iOS and Android while showing you the referring URL and geography when available. In addition, you can append UTM tracking parameters for Google Analytics and other tracking solutions. This is helpful for attributing app opens to certain channels or audience segments.
URLgenius Links for the Spotify App Step-by-Step
First login to Spotify on your desktop computer and navigate to the artist, song or playlist you want to link to in the Spotify app for iOS or Android. To locate and copy the link, click on share in the menu.
Next click the 'less than greater than' symbols.
You have just copied that link to the clipboard but we don't all the code copied, we only need the link itself. Now open a text editor such as notepad and paste the contents. Highlighted in the screenshot below is the link to the artist (song or playlist):
Important: You must remove the word 'embed' from the path. That leaves you with this link to paste into URLgenius:
Now login to URLgenius and copy/paste that link into the URLgenius home page.
- Notice that the Spotify icon is highlighted.
- The highlighted icon lets you know URLgenius recognized the link.
- Also notice there is a field where you can customize the end of the link.
- If you do not customize the link, URLgenius will assign random characters.
- In this example, we customized it with 'favoriteartist'.
Now select 'Compose' and you will be brought to the settings page for the link. This is where you can copy the link for placement in emails, display advertising, event paid search or print ads. You can also test the behavior of the link using your mobile device by scanning the QR code.
URLgenius Analytics and Spotify App Opens
You can login to URLgenius anytime to see how many times your links are opening the Spotify app.
- Here is an example chart for daily visitors and clicks by date range:
- The next chart below shows Spotify app opens by platform.
- Using these charts, you can estimate what percentage if your audience has the Spotify app installed on their mobile app for iOS and Android.
- App store opens indicates those who have interest content but don't have the Spotify app installed.
- And here’s a chart example of clicks by device and by state.
- As a reminder, after a click there is a one hour delay in reporting.
- We will send you an analytics update each month when one or more of your links receives one or more clicks in a single calendar month.
If you found this content helpful, check out some of our other popular how-to posts:
- How to Create Deep Links for Facebook Events
- How to Create Deep Links for Facebook Reviews.
- How to Make Deep Links for Facebook Videos
- How to Properly Size your App QR Codes to Maximize Scans
- How to Make Deep Links and App QR Codes for More YouTube Subscribers
- How to Make Deep Links and App QR Codes for More Amazon Sales
- How to Setup Your Domain to Host QR Codes and Deep Links
- How to Make Deep Links and App QR Codes for Instagram Hashtags
- How to Create Deep Links for Facebook Groups
- How To Make One Link for iOS and Android App stores to Drive Installs
- How to Generate Facebook Deep Links and App QR Codes
- How to Create Telegram Deep Links and App QR Codes
- How to Create Instagram Deep Links and App QR Codes
- How to Deep Link into SMS Text Messages on iOS and Android