Hashtags have truly revolutionized marketing. They represent a simple way for brands and campaign managers to spark conversations and contribute to current events while aligning a brand or a product with certain characteristics to attract a target audience. Hashtags help create campaign narratives and drive awareness of a brand’s message.
Most Instagram users access the social platform with their mobile device, however, Instagram also has website for desktop and mobile. According to one recent study, more than 65% of all millennials accessing Instagram with their smartphone. That is incredible reach and makes hashtag marketing an important part of any campaign strategy. Deep linking to hashtags increases engagement with your campaign.
Deep links to Instagram hashtags will typically lead your visitors to the Instagram mobile website. The content can be viewed but if the user tries to follow your profile or like the content, they will be presented with the Instagram mobile website login. The links cannot detect and open the Instagram mobile app for iOS or Android. Most users will abandon resulting in lost followers, engagement and ultimately revenue.
Updating the link to your hashtag with URLgenius will enable you to detect and immediately open the Instagram app for iOS or Android directly to the right page. This is called mobile app deep linking and using Instagram app deep links will get more followers and more engagement faster by avoiding that mobile website login.
For example, you can increase Instagram followers and engagement by promoting your hashtags for Instagram on Facebook, Twitter, email marketing and other channels. Your URLgenius hashtag links for Instagram will enable your visitors to view the content in the Instagram mobile app. For example, H&M uses the hashtag “#hmman” for men’s clothing. If the social media manager for H&M wanted to tweet that Instagram hashtag this would be the underlying URL:
When clicking that link from a smartphone or a tablet, the consumer is taken to the Instagram mobile website where login is required in order to engage with the content. The link cannot open the Instagram mobile app for iOS or Android where users are persistently logged in.
In contrast, here is what the same link updated with URLgenius looks like:
Avoiding the Instagram mobile website login will increase the rate at which you acquire new followers. You are also likely to see an increase in likes and comments as your audience can more easily engage with your Instagram hashtags at any given mobile moment.
Best Practice: You can also append tracking parameters for Google analytics and other platforms to determine which campaigns and tactics are driving the most engagement with your Instagram hashtag. URLgenius also tells you what percentage of your audience has the Instagram app installed which could influence your marketing strategy. You may be surprised at what percentage of your audience has the mobile apps for Instagram installed.
Step-by-Step: Deep Links to Hashtags in the Instagram App
- Create a URLgenius account. https://app.urlgeni.us/signup
- Login to your URLgenius account: http://app.urlgeni.us/signin
- Once logged in, you’re ready to update your Instagram hashtag links.
- Important: Any links created without logging in first will not be associated with your account.
Copy your Instagram hashtag link from the address bar of your web browser and paste it into the box provided. Notice the Instagram icon is highlighted.
For example, in the screenshot below we are creating a URLgenius hashtag link to H&M's Instagram hashtag for men's clothing.
- Now click the “Compose” button and you will be presented with a 'Copy URL' button.
- Copy the link using the button provided and paste in other marketing channels in your effort to promote your Instagram hashtag.
- You can also scan the QR code with your mobile device to test the behavior of the link.
- Best Practice: also update your Instagram profile link using the same steps.
Where to place your URLgenius deep link to Instagram:
- Place behind the images on your website.
- Promote URLgenius Instagram hashtag links on other social networks.
- Use in display advertising and paid search campaigns to promote your Instagram hashtag.
- Best Practice: append your preferred web or channel analytics UTM parameters for tracking (Google Analytics, Omniture, Kenshoo etc.)
URLgenius Deep Linking Metrics for Instagram
You can login to your URLgenius dashboard at any time to understand how much Instagram engagement you are driving.
- Here is an example chart for daily visitors and clicks to your hashtag link by date range.
- The next chart below shows Instagram app opens by platform and device. The app open rate helps you determine what percentage of your social engagers have the Instagram mobile app installed for iOS and Android.
- App store visits indicate people who have shown interest in viewing your profile in the Instagram app but do not have the Instagram app installed yet.
- This is a view of clicks on your URLgenius Instagram hashtag deep links by device and by state. These insights can help you focus your campaign geographically
- Keep in mind after a click, there is a one hour delay in reporting.
- We will send you an analytics update monthly when you reach ten clicks or more in a single calendar month.
If you found this content helpful, check out some of our other popular how-to posts:
- How to Create Instagram Deep Links and App QR Codes
- How to Generate Facebook Deep Links and App QR Codes
- How to Create Deep Links for Facebook Groups
- How to Create Deep Links for Facebook Events
- How to Create Deep Links for Facebook Reviews.
- How to Make Deep Links for Facebook Videos
- How to Properly Size your App QR Codes to Maximize Scans
- How to Make YouTube Deep Links and QR Codes
- How to Make Amazon Deep Links and QR Codes
- How to Setup Your Domain to Host QR Codes and Deep Links
- How to Create Spotify Deep Links and QR Codes
- How To Make One Link for iOS and Android App stores to Drive Installs
- How to Create Telegram Deep Links and App QR Codes
- How to Deep Link into SMS Text Messages on iOS and Android